I actually have a lot of things to say, so if you’d rather skip to the update, I’ll put that at the top and you can come back.
I’m implementing a new production schedule at CG — giving myself six months with each novel length project. Two months to write the first draft, a month to read it over, another month for beta reads and revisions, and then a month for any catch up, formatting and what not. Giving myself six total months builds some leeway for getting sick, getting busy, etc. I’m actually completely capable of writing an entire first draft in a month, but most of the time my life doesn’t cooperate with me, heh. (True story: I wrote both Book 1 & Book 2 in about three weeks or so)
So what does that mean?
That means that I am currently wrapping up Book 2’s production schedule, during which a few phases are overlapping. I finished the first draft in mid-July, and only gave myself two weeks for post-production work. That wasn’t long enough. I’d rather have been done everything so I could be writing the next project while I posted. I’ve learned a lot about my process, and I think this is finally the one that’s going to work best.
Mad World: All of Me will be completed on November 7, 2019. I am tentatively scheduling Fool Me Twice for January/February 2020. Below is a preliminary production schedule for the rest of the year, including release dates for Patreon supporters (which is the second part of my announcement.
- August 17: Complete posting draft of Mad World, Book 2; Complete discovery draft of Fool Me Twice
- August 18: Begin writing alpha draft of Fool Me Twice
- August 24: Complete ebook of Mad World, Book 1 & Release to Patreon Crimson Fan Tier on 8/24; Public 8/31)
- August 31: Complete ebook of Mad World, Book 2
- September 1: Release Mad World Book 2 to Patreon Crimson Adored Tier
- October 20 : Complete alpha draft of Fool Me Twice
- October 22: Begin discovery draft of For the Broken Girl
- October 31: Release Mad World, Book 2 ebook to Patreon Crimson Fan Tier
- November 7: Last chapter of Mad World, Book 2 posted; Public release of book of Mad World, Book 2
- November 14: Begin writing alpha draft of For the Broken Girl
- November 30: Complete beta draft of Fool Me Twice
- December 31: Complete posting draft of Fool Me twice
- January 1: Complete ebook of Fool Me Twice
- January 2: Release ebook of Fool Me Twice to Patreon Crimson Adored Tier
- January 31: Complete alpha draft of For the Broken Girl
- February 1: Begin discovery draft of Next Project (TBA)
- February 3: Begin posting Fool Me Twice
If this schedule holds, I’ll probably have, at best, a month break between posting Fool Me Twice & Broken Girl. I won’t know for sure until I know how many chapters each of these stories will be. I’ve created a production page that I will keep updates and explain some of the terms above. I’d love to be able to post three chapters a week or even a chapter a day which I can do if I can decrease the time between projects.
I’m going into this detail into my writing schedule because a lot of you guys are supporting the site through Patreon and you deserve more regular content updates. I’m in a position to offer a bit more stability now for a couple of reasons. I finished graduate school which literally took over my life between classes, papers, and reading. I have a job with regular, steady hours that is going to allow me to schedule writing time every single day. With no night job, no graduate work, there are less demands on my free time.
Plus, my parents are moving out of the house we share and I’ll be taking over the house on my own. No interruptions!
Patreon Benefits to be Revised
This site costs about $25 a month to run, with an extra $10-15/year. In addition to those costs, I’ve also invested in a few pieces of software that keeps this site going, like graphics and web design. I’d like to branch into video editing at some point to make better promotional materials for my stories. (I love how The Best Thing‘s video came together, but the program I used is outdated and buggy now). Not only that, but I’ve been able to expand my GH DVD collection which makes it a lot easier to write and plan the stories as well as create graphics for them.
I’ve done a lot of this through the support of my Patreons who I absolutely adore. I hope they’ve found the benefit as well 🙂 Starting September 1, I will be revising the tiers as follows:
Crimson Fan ($1)
– New chapters posted every Sunday while I’m publishing a story. I usually post 1-3 chapters a week depending on story length. You’ll get the entire week on Sunday, before everyone else.
– You will get all ebooks a week before everyone else on Crimson Glass. I release these ebooks for free and am working slowly on converting my entire backlist into ebook form.
Crimson Love ($3)
– In addition to the Fan benefits, you will also get the alpha draft of every story I write, except for flash fiction. The alpha draft is basically the version that exists when I type THE END. I haven’t reread it yet which means there are lots of typos, missing chunks, and chronologically inconsistent.
Crimson Devoted ($5)
– In addition to Fan & Love, you get the beta draft. This is the version of the story I’ve reread and edited. New subplots and scenes might be added, the prose is cleaned up. It’s not quite the posting draft, but it’s pretty close.
Crimson Adored ($6)
– This is a special tier. You are only charged when there’s a reward to be given. It is not a monthly charge. You can be a $1 patron all year, but then do a one time charge of $6 when is becomes available.
– Based on the production schedule outlined above, you’ll see places where I’ve singled out completing ebooks after the posting draft is done. On September 1, I will put Mad World, Book 2’s ebook on this tier (and the one above it) so you can get it two months everyone else gets the end of the story.
– Going forward, you will get the ebook even sooner — I’m scheduled to finish Fool Me Twice’s ebook by January 1. As a supporter on this tier, you’ll have access 4-5 months before everyone else gets the ebooks.
– Ebooks are really great for comfort reading — you can take my novels anywhere you go. Read my stories in bed, in a bubble bath, curled on the sofa, on car rides. It’s a lot better than sitting in front of a computer screen.
Crimson Obsessed ($10)
– You get Fan, Love, Devoted, & Adored tier benefits (without having to pay extra for the ebook on Adored)
– I will also write a story of your choice.
You can always access my Patreon page by following the Support link in the header of the site.
That was a lot, I know! Heh. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask below! I’m really excited about all the changes coming this year and next!